Sunday, February 17, 2008

Road to the Horse

Two weeks from today I'll be in the arena at Road to the Horse, doing my thing: talking. I'll also be learning, watching these great trainers do what they do best. Tickets sold out several weeks ago, but you can still sign up for the live webcast. This could be the best one yet. Chris Cox, Ken McNabb, Tommy Garland, and a fourth competitor that is being kept a secret. Yes, I know who it is. Trust me, you won't be disappointed.

I'll also get to see my new book for the first time. Although it's not officially coming out until September, the publisher is allowing me to sell advance copies at RTTH. They'll be shipped straight to my hotel room. We'll have a booth right outside the VIP room, same as last year, and Susan from my office will be manning it the whole weekend. I'll be in and out as time allows to meet folks and sign books.

People ask me if I get nervous out there in front of so many people. Yes and no. I'm more nervous about it right now than I will be when the time comes. That's just the way I am. Once I'm out there, I feel right at home. And folks are always so nice to me. I truly have the greatest job in the world.

Better go before I start blubbering...
R

6 comments:

Unknown said...

just wanted to say i think what you are doing is great & look forward to reading more of the blog & seeing more of you..
from ... a fan..

John Harrer said...

I love the podcasts of the radio show. They keep me company while I'm doing yard work and I always learn a lot.

Anonymous said...

Hi there!
I'm not sure that you can help me, but I have a question.
My thirteen year old stepdaughter has been invited to the Appaloosa National Championship in Jackson Mississippi in June. Since it is extremely expensive to trailer, board, and show two horses, we are trying to figure out ways to raise money for her trip. Do you have any suggestions as to how to do this? Or can you point me in the direction to the appropriate people to speak to? I am not a part of the horse world, so I really have no idea where to start.
Thank you for your time

Rick Lamb, Ph.D. said...

Thanks, Andrea ... and John.

Barbie, not everyone can afford showing and there's no shame in that. Well-known riders are able to get some of the costs underwritten by sponsors in exchange for promoting products or displaying commpany logos. At 13, your stepdaughter may find that a tough sell. But you never know. Just think in terms of offering something of value in exchange for the financial support. I also think it's perfectly reasonable for your stepdaughter to contribute through babysitting or cleaning stalls or some other parttime job. Good luck!
R

Unknown said...

I'm excited you are blogging! I spent my lunch hours listening to your radio show at work. I loved it. (Now, it's more difficult to do--different job--and I miss it. Congratulations on your book.

Rick Lamb, Ph.D. said...

j,
Thanks. I like to write, so blogging is fun for me. Have you tried the podcasts? You can listen away from a computer. Enjoy!
Rick

Spooking on the Trail

On Facebook recently, a poster described a spooking incident and wondered what the horse learned from the rider’s response. In this case, ...