Sunday, April 1, 2012

Riding Boots

Woody asks on Facebook: What are your thoughts on laced boots vs pull on boots when riding in the arena or on the trail?

Rick’s answer: Hi Woody. Choice of boot is largely personal preference. However, in competition, there are sometimes rules about what you wear. For recreational riding, there are some pros and cons with each design. I like the ankle support of a lace up boot and I don’t mind the extra few seconds needed to deal with the laces. I wore black lace ups while trekking in Iceland last summer. They looked great with my stretchy black riding pants! However, some people consider lace ups – or any boot that doesn’t come off easily in an accident – a safety hazard. As a young ranchhand, Dr. Miller was dragged across an arena before his tight cowboy boot came off. Now he recommends buying riding boots a size too large. Of course, wearing boots that don’t fit can be uncomfortable and that's definitely a down side for me. When the cameras aren’t rolling, I usually wear these old Justins with the short Roper heel. They’re loose but not too loose. You can see they’ve given me many years of service. Bottom line for me is that riding should be enjoyable so I wear boots that make me feel good.

8 comments:

Barbara said...

I have some handmade polo boots that I cannot wear because of two broken ankles. I loved them. The crepe soles made them light and comfortable to ride in as well as walk. I recently bought a pair of Dublin waterproof boots and I love them. They are so comfortable that I can wear them without socks but they were warm enough and waterproof so that this winter I did not ride in Neoprene boots as i have in the past.So thin alpaca wool socks got me through this winter in these boots. I just bought another pair because I seem to wear them constantly so now I have a "good" pair.

debbg281 said...

I like the comfort of my lace up boots. i have break away stirrup leather/irons on my saddle, so getting drug isnt an issue, debbg

Unknown said...

Thanks for the post, and I was wondering if it would be best to buy a pair of horse riding boots that are brand new or that are slightly used? Because I'm new to the whole horse experience so I don't quite know what I'm doing still.

sillhouine said...

How often do you think that a pair of boots gets completely worn out? I'm debating on getting some horse riding boots in Naperville but im wondering if i should order super high quality ones versus a standard quality. I appreciate any feedback.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this post. I need to find some horse riding boots in Naperville and this helped me to understand more what it is that I am specificly looking for.

Anonymous said...

I've been looking for horse riding boots in Naperville and your blog has really helped me out!!

Unknown said...

I have been wanting to get some horse riding boots in Naperville to do some horseback riding. Thanks for sharing this!

Unknown said...

Great post, I really like the picture. The Van reminds me of my college roadtrip.
Riding boots

Spooking on the Trail

On Facebook recently, a poster described a spooking incident and wondered what the horse learned from the rider’s response. In this case, ...