Saturday, October 21, 2017

Use What You Got

Recently I was asked in a podcast interview what a young person should do if he or she wanted to make a career in the horse industry. My answer surprised the host, I think. It had more to do with what the person already had going than how to become something else.

I used myself as an example. In 1997, when I started my first syndicated radio show about horses, I had no expertise in the subject. I mean, zero. What I did have was 20+ years of experience in audio production, an understanding of how syndicated radio works, a studio, a staff, and an entrepreneurial spirit. By starting a radio show about horses, I applied my expertise to a subject I found interesting and created a product for which there was a demand. I had incentive to make it work because I needed the money. In time, I developed a fair amount of expertise about horses, but that did not contribute to my radio success; it was a byproduct of my success.

So back to you or any person wanting to work in the horse industry. Instead of starting with where you’d like to be and working backwards to figure out how to get there, start with where you’re at today, and look for ways to use your current skills and predispositions to create something really great that people really want. Don’t pattern yourself after a person you idolize. Be honest about who you really are and what you might be able to offer.

What if nothing comes to mind? Then do something to stimulate your imagination! Read articles, watch videos, talk to people, network. One great thing about the times we live in is that there are truly endless ways to kick start yourself. 

No comments:

Spooking on the Trail

On Facebook recently, a poster described a spooking incident and wondered what the horse learned from the rider’s response. In this case, ...